At Rivers Hospital we appreciate that suspecting you may have cancer is a very worrying time. If you choose Rivers for cancer services we guarantee:
- Appointments can be arranged very quickly, reducing the time you have to wait for either a diagnosis or treatment.
- Screenings and investigations (which may not automatically be available to patients on the NHS) may be offered.
- Treatment and investigations are scheduled at a time to suit you.
- A wider range of diagnostic tests, treatments and drugs may be available to clinicians so they may offer the most appropriate treatment to you as an individual.
Which cancers does Rivers specialise in?
We offer treatment for a number of the most common cancers - breast cancer, skin cancer and prostate cancer. We also see patients with lung, colorectal, gynaecological, and blood cancers, as well as a few patients with less common cancers.
If you are referred to a consultant with suspected cancer, we will ensure you are seen within 72 hours. Your consultant works as part of a multidisciplinary team that includes consultant radiologists who specialise in particular cancers, consultant cytologists to read the results of any biopsies, and cancer nurse specialists to offer information and support.
We aim to provide a seamless treatment journey and give our patients the best treatment and support possible. So, wherever, possible patients visiting our rapid access clinics can benefit from on-the-spot tests to establish a rapid diagnosis including:
- Urgent blood testing
- Specialist radiology (x-rays, ultrasounds, MRI, CT scans)
- Tissue sampling
In most cases the result will be available on the day but occasionally further tests are needed to give a conclusive result. Your consultant will explain the results to you and, if necessary, discuss the options and recommend any further course of treatment needed.
Should you be found to have cancer, you will receive immediate support and early access to treatment.